Fall is in full swing, and it’s time to start preparing your pool for the winter months. One of the most essential items to get is a good pool cover. While it may be possible to make do without one, a good pool cover is well worth the investment. It is one of the most important steps you can take to prevent the need for pool repairs. This will help you get significantly more mileage out of your pool before it’s time to think about major pool renovations.
In addition, you’ll experience the following benefits from a good pool cover:
- Protection from the elements – Keep rain, snow, debris, dust and other elements from contaminating your pool during the winter months.
- Safety – If you have young children, a pool cover can help prevent drownings that may potentially occur if your kids fall in the pool without an adult present.
- Insulation and energy efficiency – If you use your pool during the winter months, a cover can be a crucial way to save on energy costs. It can keep your pool insulated and prevent your heater from working overtime in the cold weather. This improved energy efficiency will save you money each month.
- Prevents evaporation – Pool covers can prevent evaporation, reducing the need to refill it as frequently.
Types of Pool Covers
The right pool cover for you will depend on your unique needs and your budget. There are several different options to choose from:
- Solar covers – These pool covers contain a series of air bubbles that insulate your pool water. In addition, their clear design harnesses the sun’s energy to heat your pool. While this option doesn’t provide a lot of protection from debris or support any weight, it’s a great solution if you’re looking to heat your pool cheaply and efficiently all winter.
- Mesh covers – This is an inexpensive option that provides a great deal of protection. Mesh pool covers are an effective way to help prevent accidental drownings, and their tight weave keeps leaves, twigs and other debris from contaminating water. However, rain water will be able to pass through the mesh, which can prevent damage to the cover that may occur if water is allowed to pool up on top for a prolonged period of time.
- Safety covers – If your primary concern is preventing young children or pets from drowning, this is your best option. They’re constructed to accommodate more weight than other pool covers, and you can choose either mesh or solid cover types.
- Winter covers – This option is great to protect your pool during the cold winter months. It is made of a solid, hard-cover material. However, these pool covers aren’t able to handle as much weight as safety covers, so you’ll need to be diligent about clearing puddles of rain water or snow accumulations after a storm.
- Automatic covers – These are the easiest to use, but also the most expensive. They eliminate the hassles associated with setting up the pool cover manually. Just push a button and the motor will extend the cover over the pool for you.
How to Choose a Pool Cover
Make sure you evaluate the following factors when deciding on the right pool cover:
- Functionality – What are you looking to accomplish with your pool cover? Are you mainly concerned with pool safety and preventing accidental drownings? Do you have a lot of trees and need to keep debris out of the water? Are you trying to keep the water heated during the winter? The right option for you will depend on your unique needs.
- Climate – When you live in cold weather climates, a winter cover may be the most effective option. If you experience harsh storms, a mesh cover may be ideal.
- Warranty – In general, it’s always best to purchase a pool cover that has a warranty. This will provide you with additional protection in the event that the cover is defective or malfunctions.
- Budget and durability – While your budget should certainly be a factor, keep in mind that you get what you pay for. In general, more expensive pool covers will be more durable and therefore last longer. In addition, certain types of pool covers are heavier duty and as a result, they’re more sturdy than other options.
- Pool size – Make sure you get an appropriate cover for the size and shape of your pool.
- Pool type – In-ground pools require different covers than above-ground pools. Make sure you purchase a model that works with your pool type.
Top Pool Covers on the Market
The following pool covers are rated very highly and will provide you with an excellent solution to protect your pool, minimize repairs and delay the need for pool renovations.
Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year Rectangular In-Ground Pool Cover
The Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year rectangular in-ground pool cover is made from a polyethylene material that is highly durable and provides great protection against the elements. In addition, the black underside of the cover minimizes the amount of sunlight that shines through, preventing algae growth. This, along with sealed seams, ensure your water will remain clean when you reopen the pool after winter.
This pool cover comes in a variety of sizes and includes an 8-year warranty.
Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year Above-Ground Pool Cover
Blue Wave also makes their Bronze series pool covers for above-ground pools. This cover is designed to fit 15-foot round pools, but with a 19-foot circumference, it provides greater overlap than many other options. This minimizes stress on the pool cover to prolong its life.
Sun2Solar Rectangle Solar Cover
The Sun2Solar rectangle solar pool cover is relatively inexpensive and provides an effective way to heat your pool. The air bubbles capture heat and transfer it into the water. In addition, their transparent design allows for maximum sunlight transference, providing that extra warmth you want when you go for a swim. You’ll also slow evaporation by 95%, making it an ideal option for dry areas where water is a precious resource.
This pool cover is also extremely versatile. It works with both above-ground and in-ground pools. Its standard size is 16×40 feet, making it great for large pools. You can easily trim it down to fit a smaller pool size.
Robelle Super Winter In-Ground Pool Cover
If you’re looking for a solid winter cover for an in-ground pool, the Robelle Super Winter pool cover is an excellent option. The heavy-duty polyethylene material will stand up to harsh winter elements, and the UV resistant coating provides additional durability. It also contains a black underside which prevents algae growth.
This cover fits pools as large as 20×40 feet. The grommets in the corners allow you to tie it down for extra security.
Blue Wave In-Ground Safety Pool Cover
If safety is your primary concern, the Blue Wave in-ground safety pool cover is one of your best options. With two-ply mesh material and multi-seam stitching, it can prevent anyone, including adults, from falling into the pool and drowning.
The mesh material also allows for rain water to seep through while blocking dirt and debris from contaminating your pool. This makes pool maintenance easier during the winter months.
Loop-Loc Safety Pool Cover
This is another great option if you’re looking for a safety cover. Made from an ultra-strong, super dense mesh material, the Loop-Loc safety pool cover is one of the toughest on the market.
The mesh weave blocks almost all sunlight from penetrating, so it’s not going to keep your pool heated during the winter months. However, it allows rain and snow to get through while keeping out debris. This makes the Loop-Loc safety pool cover a great option for keeping your pool clean while avoiding water and snow buildup from damaging the cover during the winter months.
Allen Pool Service Can Help with Your Pool Cover Purchase
At Allen Pool Service, we’re here to help you keep your pool running well year round. If you’re interested in getting a new pool cover before winter, we have you covered. Our team will advise you of your options and recommend the right pool cover to address your unique needs. In addition, our team will professionally install your pool cover to ensure it fits properly.
For over 45 years, Allen Pool Service has been providing dependable, high quality swimming pool renovation, maintenance and repair services throughout the Atlanta area. We’ll work with you to arrive at a custom pool cover solution that keeps your pool protected throughout the off-season. This is one of the easiest and most effective ways to minimize pool repair issues down the road.
Request a Pool Cover Estimate
Please contact Allen Pool Service today to request a pool cover estimate. We serve Atlanta and the surrounding areas of Georgia.